New Home Stick Build

Looking to Build a New Stick Build Home?

A building permit is required for the construction of a new home (dwelling) or an addition to an existing dwelling. Below is a list of items and information that are required to begin the permitting process:



Completed Development permit application form with detailed site plan

STEP 2: 
Completed Building Application Form

STEP 3: 
Builder License for contractors or Owner Builder Authorization for individuals planning to build their own home. For more information about builder licensing please click here.

Copy of new Home Buyer Protection Act Registration Certificate or Exemption Certificate. To register, please call Alberta Municipal Affairs at 1-866-421-6929 or visit

Two complete sets of construction drawings printed or one PDF copy that include:

-Elevation drawings
-Floor plans for all developed floors, including area of each floor
-Building cross section Foundation Plan (see below Foundation Information)
-Specifications/layouts for any engineered projects (ie. Trusses, beams, floor systems, etc.)
-Layouts can be onsite at framing stage

National Energy Code for Building Compliance Report 

National Energy Code 9.36 Compliance Report for houses and small buildings (new construction including additions.) 

Questions regarding the National Energy Codes can be directed to Alberta Municipal Affairs, Safety Services at 1-866-421-6929 or by email at [email protected] and visit their website at

Please ensure that you have included all seven documents with your permit application. The building permit application does not include electrical, gas, plumbing and private sewage disposal permits. To download and apply for these permits, please find them on the Planning & Development page here.


Foundation Information

Foundations that are not required to be designed by a professional engineer or registered architect:

-Full concrete foundation
-4 ft. concrete frost wall on a strip footing
-4 ft. pier foundation on a spread footing

Foundations that are required to be designed by a professional engineer or registered architect:

-Concrete pile and grade beam systems
-Concrete piles
-Screw piles
-Preserved wood foundation
-Shallow foundation (slab on grade) over 55 sq.m
-ICF - Insulated Concrete Forms (may require engineering if no CCMC approval is provided)

Engineering Required

-Hydronic in-floor heating system plans
-Geothermal heating system plans


Be sure to follow us on Facebook to receive the latest updates on county news,
public works notices, event updates and more!