Planning & Development

Home » Planning & Development

County of St. Paul Planning & Development

County of St. Paul Municipal Development Plan, Land Use Bylaw, General Municipal Servicing Standards, and Reserve Land Management Policy Review for Red Tape Reduction were passed by Council at the October 12, 2021 Council meeting.

Land Use Bylaw enacted on October 12, 2021

Land Use Bylaw, Consolidated Copy, February 2022

General Municipal Servicing Standards (GMSS) provide direction and guidance to land developers, and County Council and Administration in the development of land, including the development process and ultimately servicing of new developments.  This ensures proper and fair process for all applications and allows the County to ensure quality development that supports its long-term vision in a sustainable way.
Final Document enacted on October 12, 2021

Final Document - Municipal Development Plan, enacted on October 12, 2021


Area Structure Plan:  The Town of St. Paul and County of St. Paul are currently looking to address the long-term planning and development of 588.4 hectares of land located on the northern portion of the town.

To address this need, the Town and County are commissioning the preparation of an Area Structure Plan (ASP).
To Learn More: Visit

The complete engagement summary can be viewed here.


Buffalo Trail South Inter-municipal Area Structure Plan:  The Town of Elk Point and County of St. Paul are partnering to develop an Inter-municipal Area Structure Plan (ASP).

The ASP will guide future growth and development of lands located at the southern gateway to Elk Point, including lands in both the Town and County. Residents will have several opportunities at key milestones to help shape the vision for the Plan Area.

Visit our project website for detailed information about the Buffalo Trail South Area Structure Plan (ASP) Project, upcoming engagement opportunities, and to stay up-to-date on the project!  Link to Project website 

Lakeshore Developments

Property development is increasing on Alberta’s lakeshores. Shoreland development can have cumulative, detrimental effects on lakes and lakeshore areas.

An Alberta Government Temporary Field Authorization (TFA) will be required for placing a mooring structure for personal recreational use in Crown owned-bed and shore, for longer than 14 days.
Alberta Government Fact Sheet
Request for Client ID Application
Application for Temporary Field Authorization

Note:  This is an Alberta government requirement.  If you have questions regarding a client ID or the Temporary Field Authorization, please call Alberta Environment and Parks
at 780-623-5279. 
The County cannot advise individuals on what the province will require or approve. 

If you are not the waterfront landowner, the province requires written consent from the waterfront landowner before an authorization may be issued.  In many instances, this may be the local municipality if the waterfront property is a municipal or
an environmental reserve. 

As of March 8, 2022 there is a $50 fee per letter for a Letter of Consent to cross County Lands for the purpose of acquiring a permit from Alberta Environment and Parks for a Mooring Structure (dock).

If the applicant requires a Municipal Letter of Consent from the County, please fill in the Lakeshore Developments form by clicking here.

Permit Applications


Effective March 1, 2022, all Safety Codes permits for the County of St. Paul are now issued through Superior Safety Codes Inc.
including Building, Electrical, Gas, Plumbing and Private Sewage Disposal System permits.
Applications for permits can be found below and sent directly to Superior Safety Codes. 

What's the difference between a Development Permit and a Building Permit?  

The Development Permit is reviewed against the rules of a Land Use Bylaw (zoning).  A development permit provides permission for a specific type of development to take place on a site. For example, the development may have height limits, minimum parking requirements, proper setback from the property lines,
maximum lot coverage or specific rules on the architecture of the proposal. 

Building Permit is reviewed against the rules of the Building Code.  A building permit is one that allows the construction of a building or structure to move forward on the condition that it addresses and is in compliance with the building code of a city, town or county. A building permit is necessary when any construction, relocation, alteration, demolition or repair is taking place on a property. 

Development Permit Information - Link here

There are 6 key permit applications that may be needed in reference to your planning and development needs. 
You can find these below:

Email Development Permit Applications to Gary Buchanan   [email protected]
Due to the volume of work the response time is currently up to 5 business days.  Thank you, in advance, for your patience.
Link to the Development Permit Application

Email Safety Code Permit Applications to Superior Safety Codes Inc. 

Email:  [email protected]      
Phone: 780-870-9020

Building Permit
Electrical Permit
Gas Permit
Plumbing Permit
Private Sewage Disposal Permit

Subdivision Application Package (see below)

Alberta One-Call is now Utility Safety Partners

The former Alberta One-Call, Alberta Common Ground Alliance, and the Joint Utility Safety Team have united under one name: Utility Safety Partners.  In Alberta, hundreds of thousands of kilometres of buried cable and pipe deliver essential services like heat, electricity, water, cell service and internet communications. Utilities lie unseen just below the surfaces of our streets, sidewalks, parks, fields, farms and our yards.
Click Before You Dig:  Utility Safety Partners Contact Link

Planning & Development Process

Looking to build? Need a permit? See the link to the Development Permit Information and follow this 5 step process to a successful application:

1. Review the Bylaw

Please review the Land Use Bylaw

2. Review Development Permit Information

Development permit information can be found here.

5. Fill Out a Permit Application

Complete your permit applications as required. The listing of permit applications can be found above under 'Permit Applications'.

6. Send Your Completed Documents

Send your completed documents as an attachment to Gary Buchanan  [email protected]

Subdivision Application Package

Please contact Municipal Planning Services (2009) Ltd. if you have questions about subdivisions or
if you are planning to apply for a subdivision.

Phone:  780-486-1991      Email  [email protected] 

All Subdivision Forms (download to access fillable form) 

Municipal Planning Service Subdivision Fees

Projects & Plans

The County of St. Paul has developed a number of municipal and inter-municipal development plans in accordance with the Government of Alberta Municipal Government Act (MGA). 

Inter-Municipal Development Plan: Rural

Inter-Municipal Development Plan: Urban

Area Structure Plans

The County of St. Paul is constantly evolving and two key areas currently under development are Garner Lake and the Lac Sante Area.

Lac Sante Area

In 2008, in response to the development that had occurred adjacent to the lake in the 1990s and 2000s, the Counties of St. Paul and Two Hills began work on an Area Structure Plan (ASP) for the Lac Sante area.

[View Plan]

Garner Lake

In early 2008 in response to the steady increase in interest toward lake-oriented development in Smoky Lake County and the County of St. Paul, as well as a growing awareness of the importance of local environmental stewardship and healthy watersheds, both Counties began work on revising the existing Area Structure Plan for the Garner Lake Area.

[View Plan]

Policies & Bylaws

Policies are created to guide decision-making on municipal matters.  These policies are approved by County of St. Paul Council.  In accordance with Section 638.2 of the Municipal Government Act, RSA 2000, c M-26, the following Planning and Development policies have been created and adopted:

Policies & Bylaws

Frequently Asked Questions


If you have a Planning & Development related question we invite you to contact the County of St. Paul using the contact information found on this page.

Contact Information

[email protected]
780-645-3301 ext.1211 (please leave a message)

JEFF SYDORUK, Building Safety Codes Officer
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 780-870-9020

RON MATIEJEWSKI, Building Safety Codes Officer
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 780-489-4777

JACK KELLER, Electrical Safety Codes Officer
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 780-870-9020

BRAD DINGMAN, Plumbing & Gas Safety Codes Officer
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 780-489-4777

5015 - 49 Avenue
St. Paul, AB  T0A 3A4

Regular Hours:
8:30am - 4:30pm
Closed for lunch from 12:00pm - 1:00pm

Closed all Statutory Holidays