Waste Management

Home » Waste Management

County of St. Paul Waste Services

Waste management in the County of St. Paul is administered through our Public Works office. If you have any questions, please contact us.

Chemical Container Recycling Moving to Ag Retailers

Empty agricultural jug collection sites are phasing out from municipal depots at landfill sites and transfer stations, moving to ag retail collection sites across Alberta by the end of 2024.

Farmers will be able to return empty jugs up to 23L to the point of purchase. Before returning empty jugs, call your local retailer and ask if they have begun accepting empty containers for recycling. Retailers should provide you with a free ag collection bag to store and transport your empty, rinsed pesticide and fertilizer containers.

Recycled Beverage Container Program

Since the program began in October 2020, over 71,600 beverage containers have been recycled (as of November 2022).
Proceeds have gone back to support local organizations. 

Participating non-profit groups for 2024 include North Eastern Music Association (Lac Sante Bin Site); Elk Point 4-H Beef Club (St. Edouard and Whitney Lake Transfer Stations), and Mallaig Ag Society (Ashmont, Mallaig, Vincent Lake, and St. Lina Transfer Stations and Floating Stone Lake Bin Site).

Thank you for your continued support to local organizations in dropping off empty beverage containers at County Transfer Stations.

Recycle Plastic Twine

Burning plastic twine is one of the worst disposal options, due to the amount of released toxins.

It’s estimated that an average of 2,200 tonnes of plastic twine is generated on Alberta farms per year. That’s a lot that could end up in landfills.

County Transfer Stations


The County Transfer Stations are currently on Summer Operating Hours

Accepted Waste & Materials

The County of St. Paul Transfer Stations accept various items, including small batteries, cell phones, eyeglasses, light bulbs, and Styrofoam. However, not all stations are alike. Review the materials below to confirm which sites don't collect what, as well as other information needed.

Automotive batteries are not accepted at any of our Transfer Stations. These must be returned to their place of purchase for recycling.

Removal of debris. Construction waste. Building demolition. Devastation background

Building, Construction, and Demolition Material

This can include dirt and roots. Generally known as 'Mixed Loads', which include recyclables or burnable material mixed with waste.

Learn more about demolition materials and see below for information on Building Demolition Permits.


Used Oil from Farms

The County of St. Paul does not accept used oil. However, certain companies will pick up used oil from farms, such as:

  • Recycle West - Edmonton (producers can call 877-823-2733
    and press 1 for dispatch).
  • GFL Environmental Inc. - Edmonton (producers can call 780-485-5000)

*Info only. The County does not promote or vouch for any companies. 



Including appliances, electronics, and scrap metals


Dry Waste

This includes furniture and inert waste.

Accepted at Ashmont, Mallaig, Elk Point and Evergreen Transfer Stations only.

CSP freon stock photo

Freon Appliances

Including air conditioning units, dehumidifiers, freezers, fridges, & water coolers. 

A $20 Freon removal fee is required per unit. Each May, this fee is waived as part of the County's Spring Clean-up initiative.


Canned Materials

Including paints, oils, pesticide jugs, propane tanks, used oil and filters, and other hazardous material

CSP baler twine photo

Plastic Twine

Free collection bags for collecting plastic twine are available at the County’s Transfer Stations. This is a pilot project that has been extended to December 31, 2025.

The Town of St. Paul and Town of Elk Point Transfer Stations and Evergreen Waste Management Transfer Stations are not part of this pilot project.


Variety of red white and black waste car tires piled in a big pile

Vehicle Tires

In 2022, 221,820 kgs of tires were hauled away for recycling.

Screenshot 2023-01-12 at 14-20-38 Product List - ARMA ePilot


If it has a power cord, it can be recycled.
See the complete list 


Household Waste

Building Demolition Permits

Building Demolition Permits are required for any building demolition project and for Hazardous Waste/Asbestos Certification.

Completed permits must be submitted to our County Administration Office and approved by our Waste Management Department before taking any materials to our bin locations. 

Waste Bin Rentals

County residents have two options for waste bin rentals: a 4-or-6 yard bin or a 30 yard bin.

To request a bin rental, please email [email protected] or call 780-645-3301 ext. 1206.

Bin Front Load Bin P1020125

4-or-6 Yard Front Load Bin

These bins are intended for Municipal Solid Waste (MSW), generally known as household waste.

Bin - Roll off Bin P1020127

30 Yard Roll-off Bin

These bins are intended for Industrial & Construction Waste (also known as INERT waste).

Take it Or Leave It Sites

Available at all County Transfer Stations, come drop off or pick an item for reuse!

We do not accept: baby walkers, cribs, lawn darks, bicycle or hockey helmets, hard hats, safety boots, gas masks, life jackets, mattresses, futons, cots, bedding, clothing, or shoes.


Cork boards have been installed at the Take It or Leave It sheds for postings of community events and ads.

Any additions must be approved by the Transfer Station Attendant before posting.


If you have a Waste Management-related question, we invite you to contact the County of St. Paul using the information below.

Contact Information

JASON STORCH, Director of Community Services
Phone: 780-646-6768

WARREN LEISTER, Manager of Waste and Agricultural Services
Phone: 780-646-6784
Cell:  780-646-0120

5015 49 Avenue
St. Paul, AB T0A 3A4
8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Closed from 12 p.m. - 1 p.m

Public Works:
5618 57 Street
St. Paul, AB
7 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. (summer hours)
Closed from 12 p.m. to 12:30 p.m.

Closed on weekends and all Statutory Holidays