Home » Agriculture

Agriculture in the County

County of St. Paul declared Agricultural Disaster (November 26, 2019)

The main focus of the County of St. Paul Agricultural Service Board (ASB) is to deliver programs that aid our local producers, under the guidelines of the provincial Agricultural Service Board Act. These programs and services include: rental equipment, weed and brush control, pests, diseases, predators and conservation programs. Learn more about Alberta's Agriculture Service Boards.

Clubroot Positive Fields in the County of St. Paul 2014 to 2020

ASB Spring 2021 Newletter  Learn about weeds in our County and about some of the programs that the ASB undertakes.


Lakeland Agricultural Research Association  - Overview

The County provides funding support to LARA so that their programs can continue.  Learn more about LARA's work and the programs offered.  See the website or Facebook.
LARA program information is posted here and on the County's Facebook page as it becomes available.

Dugout Webinar Series  July 20 and 27.  Information and to register

Farm Equipment on the Road
What is the most frequent type of multi-vehicle collision?
Farm machinery being hit as it is turning onto a public road

In what three-month period do almost half of all collisions occur?
a.  March, April and May
b. July, August and September
For more information see Safe Transportation of Farm Equipment in Alberta

Wildfire Prevention Tips
Wildfire is probably the last thing on your mind, but with a little planning you can reduce the threat of wildfire.
Source: Farm and Acreage - A Guide to Reducing the Risk of From Wildfire
(Alberta Government, FireSmart)

Other Agriculture-related Programs

Innotech Alberta Vegreville Hemp Field Day   July 29, 2021. Featuring:   National Hemp Variety Trial featuring newly registered Canadian cultivars; Hemp agronomy; effects of seeding dates and rates; fertility trials; ariable row spacing;Hemp in rotations; Hemp production for fibre applications ;Farm equipment showcase
Doors Open at 9:00 pm.  Information  

Alberta Wheat Commission information via webinars and field tours

AgSmart   Olds College and Agri-Trade have partnered to produce a must-see agriculture educational event, AgSmart.  Taking place August 10 and 11 at Olds College

More online registry services now available.  Albertans can now  renew their commercial and farm vehicle registrations online.

The heat is on    With Alberta experiencing extreme heat, it is important to remember that cattle are not able to dissipate heat well and are susceptible to heat stress.  Cattle can experience heat stress at temperatures around 26 degrees, depending on the relative humidity. Find out more about how to reduce the risks and effects of heat stress

Hauling hogs in extreme heat  Producers who are hauling hogs in the coming days should keep in mind that hogs don't sweat, making it difficult to regulate a safe body temperature.  Check out this fact sheet to learn what to do, and what not to do, when hauling hogs in the heat.

uLethbridge Agri-Food Summer Speaker Series   Each month, the uLethbridge Agri-Food Summer Series will bring producers and researchers together to discuss topics related to southern Alberta's agriculture industry. It's an opportunity to hear from the people who know the industry as they generate ideas and push the boundaries of agricultural potential in southern Alberta.

The five-part series kicks off on June 29 with Can we save the planet by directing cattle feed to people?  Other topics include crops and irrigation, pollinators, smart farming, and agriculture economics.  Find out more

2021 Alberta Blue Book  The Blue Book is a longstanding and trusted resource for Alberta farmers and agronomists, providing current pesticide application information. With over 600 pages of valuable crop protection information, spraying guidelines and farm safety, The Blue Book is an essential tool for your farming operation. The Blue Book publication is collaboratively produced by four of Alberta’s crop commissions – Alberta Barley, Alberta Canola, Alberta Pulse Growers and the Alberta Wheat Commission.


Certificate in Agriculture and Food Policy launched  The University of Alberta, Augustana Campus, has just launched this new open-enrollment program. Within the series of courses, key trends in the agriculture sector will be examined, with a focus on research and policy innovation, social, economic and environmental impacts.

Agriculture Training Support Program The purpose of this program is to provide support to the agricultural and horticultural businesses and services to help address the impact of COVID-19. The program will provide a grant to eligible employers to offset the costs of training and ensuring safety protocols are in place for new employees hired from the available domestic labour pool.  There is limited funding in the Program. Completed applications will be considered for approval on a first-come, first-served basis



March 23, 2020:  The Government of Canada announced new supports for farmers and agri-food businesses
Please see the link for additional information about the following:

Farm Credit Canada will receive support from the Government of Canada that will allow for an additional $5 billion in lending capacity to producers, agribusinesses,
and food processors

All eligible farmers who have an outstanding Advance Payments Program (APP) loan due on or before April 30 will receive a Stay of Default, allowing them an additional six months to repay the loan

Federal government declares Agriculture an Essential Service
during COVID-19 pandemic (April 16, 2020)

Road Side Mowing Program

The County has several mowers that mow certain roads and subdivisions in the County. We expand our list of which roads and subdivisions are mowed each year.

Weed & Invasive Species Control

The County aims to help our agricultural community avoid pests, weeds and invasive species. See the resources below for more information.   



Clubroot is a serious soil-borne disease of canola, mustard and other crops in the cabbage family. The disease is capable of significantly reducing yields and quality, and may destroy a crop if infestations are high. Field inspections in the County are conducted each summer by inspectors appointed in the County.  If a field is verified to have clubroot by a laboratory test the landowner will be notified by an Agricultural Service Board employee.  A Clubroot Pest Notice will be issued to the landowner
of that field.

Contact a County Agricultural Fieldman at 780-645-3006 for additional information.

Clubroot Positive Fields in the County of St. Paul 2014 to 2020


Coyote & Wolf Reduction

The program ended on
December 31, 2019

Contact ASB:   


Weed Control

We work with producers to eliminate weed infestations on private land. Controlling noxious, nuisance weeds and brush are priorities along roadways and municipally controlled lands.

We also undertake many activities to control weeds in the county, including, Roadside Spraying (residents may opt out), Inspections and a Road Side Mowing Program.

[Learn More About Our Spraying Program]
[Government of Alberta Weed Selector]
[Report Noxious Weeds]

Identification Guide for Alberta Invasion Plants


Road Side Spray Program &
No-Spray Agreements

During the summer months the ASB staff is kept busy by spraying around 500 roadside miles annually. This control method is used to stop the establishment of such weeds as Common Tansy, ox-eyed daisy, field Scabious, toad flax, Scentless chamomile and Canada or sow Thistle. Brush is also sprayed to slow down encroachment on roadsides.

No Spray Agreements

The County does recognize that not all producers use herbicide on their farm or acreage. The County does offer a No-Spray Agreement.  The agreement must be signed with the County before April 30 each year to ensure no spraying is done near to private property.  The agreements and signs are available from County ASB Staff at Public Works. .  

A No–Spray Agreement is in affect only until July 1st annually to control the weeds to the satisfaction of the ASB staff. It is up to the landowner to contact the ASB staff if they would like an extension past the 1st of July.

If your property is mowed and visibly taken care of, the County will not spray it.

[See Spraying Map]
No Spray Agreement


Pest Control

The County of St. Paul has conducted and will continue to conduct surveys of crops during the summer to keep a vigilant eye out to prevent pests from establishing and to contain when found within the municipality. We also undertake a number of other activities to control pests in the County.

Available for purchase:
Mouse Poison $3.00/bag
Strychnine $13/bottle (as of January 1, 2021)
Health Canada announced on March 4, 2020 that the strychnine registration program
for gophers will be phased out.  March 2022 is the last month that the County will be able to sell strychnine.


Livestock Predation

We offer domestic livestock producers assistance when livestock is being threatened and damaged. Various methods can be used to try and help producers protect their herds. Not to be used as a population control tactic.

[Contact ASB]


Richardson's Ground Squirrels

The County’s Ag. Service Department, as a certified government agent, sells strychnine bait products to farmers for the control of Richardson’s Ground Squirrels.

The program runs in the spring when they first emerge on into the summer. Spring is the best time to use baits when food sources are scarce. Check in the spring for availability and pricing.

[Contact ASB]



The County manages beavers in three ways: Blasting, Cleaning, Installing a Water Leveling Device. If you want to know more about trapping, please contact Public Works.

The Beaver Reduction Program will run from April 15 to June 25, and from September 1 to October 29, 2021.      

Participants must - first - register land quarters to be involved.

Beavers must be from registered quarters.   The whole beaver tail must be brought in.  $15/beaver tail.

Call Keith or Warren to make an appointment (see below). 

The County of St. Paul has services available for private owners, to remove beavers that cause flooding to farmland and or property.  The fee for Beaver Dam removal is $250/dam.

[Contact ASB]


Wild Boars

County of St. Paul works with Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development whereby individuals submitting the ears of a wild boar will be reimbursed $50/pair of ears. Individuals will be required to complete a declaration before payment will be made.

[Contact ASB]

Is it a rat or a muskrat?

The Agricultural Service Board staff receives calls from residents about rat sightings.  In Alberta, in 2020 there were 26 rat sightings.  

The ASB staff strongly encourages people to snap a photo and send it to [email protected] or call 310-RATS (7287).  

From the photo submitted, the critter can be identified and if it is a rat the sighting can be acted on right away.

Rats (photo left) live primarily on land and prefer to build their nests underground, in trees, or in elevated areas within buildings. Rats will rarely be seen moving during the day or out in the open.

Muskrats (photo right), on the other hand, are aquatic and prefer to live in the wetlands. Muskrats will often be seen out in the open during the day as they migrate to a different habitat.  Muskrats have thicker tails than rats and can survive longer underwater.  Muskrats look more like their relatives the beaver with their thick coat of fur and stocky appearance.   

Rats can reproduce quickly so if there are more than two, an infestation is declared. 

The single rats that are found in Alberta have usually come from B.C. and they've hitched rides on vehicles or recreation vehicles into the province.


rat or muskrat?


If you have an Agriculture related question we invite you to contact the County of St. Paul using the contact information found on this page.

Contact Information

TIM MADIUK, Director, Community Services
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 780-645-3001 ext. 1204

Keith Kornelsen, Agriculture Fieldman
Email:  [email protected]
Cell:  780-645-0154

Warren Leister, Assistant Agriculture Fieldman
Email: [email protected]
Phone:  780-645-3006 ext. 2235

5015 - 49 Avenue
St. Paul, AB  T0A 3A4

Fax:  780-645-3104

Regular Hours:
8:30am - 4:30pm
Closed for lunch from 12:00pm - 1:00pm

Closed all Statutory Holidays


Be sure to follow us on Facebook to receive the latest updates on county news,
public works notices, event updates and more!